I took Ella to the zoo yesterday to see her beloved gorillas (seriously, we’ve never met a 2 year old more obsessed with any animal than Ella and her gorillas).
As we were walking I overheard a woman say to the woman next to her "EVERY TIME (emphasized) I lose weight I always lose it in my feet and my shoes get too big — so I stop losing because I don’t have shoes that fit anymore."
That’s one we’ve never heard — "my FEET are too thin!"
But there were a few things interesting about this.
And the first was the emphasis on EVERY TIME.
We know from research and working with 100’s of people over the years that most have dozens of weight loss attempts. Hence the term "yo yo dieting."
Lose. Gain. Lose. Gain even more. Lose. Gain even more.
At the end of the cycle, you’ve ended up gaining more than you weighed in the first place.
So how do you stop this cycle?
Hint: It’s not from "dieting" and it’s not through exercise.
After all — exercise usually makes up just 3-5 hours per week (max) — leaving 165 ‘other’ hours.
And, ‘dieting’ — diet should be what you EAT, not what you DON’T eat, which is how most define it.
Sure, these are both pieces to the puzzle … but not the underlying pieces that need to be addressed.
It’s all about behavior.
When most people think of weight loss, they say "what CAN’T I eat?"
What if you shift that mindset, though, to what CAN I eat? The answer — a TON!
The key is with long term weight loss success is not focusing on foods. Not focusing on exercise. But focusing on the daily behaviors that get you the results you want.
No one ever came to our Louisville Boot Camp and said "Teach me how to squat and do pushups. And I also really want to eat a lot of veggies and nuts."
No. But they did come to us … and continue to … because of the RESULTS we deliver.
It’s through the daily behaviors we discuss.
- Eat breakfast daily. Seems basic, but considering a majority of the population still doesn’t do that, we’ve got to continue spreading that message.
- Eat a quality breakfast. So the first step is important, but this one is even more important. Breakfast can mean a bagel and large Mocha Latte at Starbucks or it can mean eggs with veggies and a bowl of berries. Big difference.
- Eat a veggie with every meal. Notice, we’re talking about ADDING foods here, not taking any way.
- Include protein with each meal. We don’t care as much about the overall quantity of protein; we care how it’s divided throughout the day. People ask all the time about how much protein they should eat — there are so many factors that play a role with this, it’s not as easy as giving one answer. But talking about including high quality protein with EACH meal and snack is crucial.
- Replace liquid sugar (soft drinks) with zero calorie options. Bored of water? Try this — steep some Lipton Mixed Berry Green Tea. Pour it over a cup full of ice cubes. Voila, a refreshing spin on plain old water … and tea is loaded with nutrients to boot.
Notice there is not mention of "dieting" in this blog post. We talk about some food strategies of foods to INCLUDE. We talk about replacing some things in the diet. No where to we talk about skipping meals, reducing calories, etc, etc.
Are there more tips and strategies we could share? Of course.
But these 5 tips above should take you at least 5 weeks, maybe more. Work on one every day, every single week. The following week move to the next. And continue to take it from there …
And that is how you "lose weight without dieting!"
Please click the ‘like’ button below to share this information with your friends and family on Facebook!