I got off the phone with a friend the other day who had a few questions about losing weight.
She has been watching portions, swapping some snack foods, cutting out soft drinks.
The basics. But she’s hit a plateau and that’s where our "emergency" call came in.
I felt like I was the "phone a friend" yesterday … and after listening too all she told me, you know what I said? You need to EAT MORE!
It’s true, eat more to weigh less.
Now, I didn’t mean blindly adding loads of calories … what I meant and clarified for her was to eat more QUALITY.
Weight loss is NOT just about quantity of calories. It’s about quality.
In fact losing weight is simple. I had a friend who used to say "since you want an overnight weight loss solution, cut off an arm. You’ll lose a bunch of weight INSTANTLY."
Not really the solution you’re looking for though, is it?
When people talk to us about losing weight, it may seem like an "instant" problem they want to correct but it’s not an "instant" solution. And that’s where quality of the foods comes into play. Because this will impact the quality of the weight lost — meaning coming from more fat and preserving lean muscle tissue.
That being said, here’s 7 foods you should eat MORE of when trying to lose weight.
- Whole Eggs. Whole eggs help fill you up more than an equal amount of carbohydrates. They’re also loaded with a ton of nutrition. Enjoy some daily and add some veggies to make them even better — better for you and better for weight loss.
- Pistachios. Some very cool data suggesting eating 2 servings of pistachios daily helps with weight loss. Here’s a hint — enjoy the ones with the shell on because taking the time to remove the shell helps with portion control. Even better … you get more pistachios (49) per serving than any other nut.
- Berries. Loads and loads of fiber in a serving of berries — blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc — even more than most other fruits — yet super low in calories. Lots of bang for your buck with these guys.
- Plain Greek Yogurt. Greek yogurt has double the protein of "regular" yogurt and and half the sugar. Add some berries and nuts and make your own mix because the fruit on the bottom comes with a lot of added sugar. Our personal fav? Chobani mixed with some coconut, raspberries and pistachios or pecans. YUM! You can even top a baked potato or anywhere else you may use sour cream.
- Whey protein. Data suggests whey protein is more filling than soy or casein, so if you’re going to use a protein supplement, opt for whey … then add some fruit for a fantastic meal or snack on the go!
- Spinach. More bang for your buck than most other "light" colored greens. Use spinach as the base to your salads. Add spinach to your eggs. Throw handfuls into spaghetti sauce of soup. Even blend it into your smoothie (and, no, you won’t even taste it — particularly when mixed with chocolate protein and/or berries!)
- Beans. Fill you up, not out. The fiber and protein will help fill you up more than many other carbs. Open a can and add to salad, soup or wrap.
There you have it — 7 simple foods to add to your diet NOW, but only if you want to lose more fat, look and feel better!
Any foods that we should add to this list? Leave a comment.
Please click the "like" button to share this article with your friends on Facebook